University Life



My First Year University Life at University Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)

Having browsed through the Malaysia Students Blog, there is no doubt that a negative perception persists towards local universities in Malaysia. To a certain extent, I agree: from the ridiculous oruentation,, dirty politics to how they treat us like school kids  all the time. Honestly, I hated that. Therefore, I vowed from the beginning of my course, by hook or by crook, that I shall turn these 3 years in the University of Kebangsaan Malaysia into the most kick-ass experience ever.

This article is a hard-thought, careful and honest description of the tribulations, achievements and lessons which I experienced in this wonderful campus. But more than anything else, this is a tribute to the beloved friends I made along the way, the powerful mentors that have laid down invaluable guidance and the enthusiastic juniors whom I shall meet in the future. Below, in no particular order, are the meaningful experiences and genuine lessons I want to share with you.

1.   University is a beehive of people, activities and societies. Do not hesitate to jump into the nectar-filled river of opportunities. Make meaningful friendship. Join an event you never dream of doing. The options are endless.

2.   Do the most wacky ever! You’re only going to go through university once in your entire life. Unleash all those teenage and childish demeanour before adulthood hits you.


3.   When all the fun is over, take a step back and reflect upon ourselves. We’re university students and the younger generation, the future leaders in this country. Always remember that we have a role to play in society. Give back to the less fortunate. Fight for a noble cause you believe in. Move your lazy asses of the backseat, stand up and be counted.

Each person's journey in university is inevitably unique; and can only be charted, discovered and cherished by the very path we choose to walk upon. We may not be setting foot on the grounds of prestigious Harvard Square or amble through the hallways of ancient Cambridge buildings, but I am a firm believer in making the best out of whatever God has given to me.

“ Stay hungry, stay foolish” ~ Steve Jobs, at Stanford University’s 2005 commencement address.    




           




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal

Chinese in Malaysia

Ipoh